Over 20% of Google searches are performed on a mobile device and local searches on a mobile device are increasing so it is really important for your business search strategy to have a mobile friendly website. Responsive web design is a method of web design that is focused on providing an optimal user experience on a website.
What are the basics of responsive web design?
- It was created by Ethan Marcotte
- It is a a set of techniques and ideas that form a whole
- It enable a website to be viewed on any device
- A responsive website "magically" adjusts (via the code used in the back end) to any device
What are the techniques of responsive web design?
- Fluid grids - A fluid grid is designed in terms of proportions, so that when a layout is squeezed onto a tiny mobile device or stretched across a huge screen, all of the elements in the layout will resize their widths in relation to one another. Responsive web design is a scalable approach for the future and allows for quite a bit of creativity
- Media queries - Media Queries are a set of questions that the website asks of the device or browser in which it is being viewed, so that it can adjust to a pre-set design to optimise itself