Search engine optimisation (SEO) is all about making sure your website is placed high in search engine results. It's all about the disoverability of your website, to increase the number of visitors to your website and increase your sales.
Search engine optimisation basics
When you enter a term (or terms) in a search engine and hit 'enter' you get a list of web results that relates to the search term. Users normally tend to visit websites that are at the top of this list as they think those to be more relevant to the search.
SEO is a technique which helps search engines find and rank your site higher than the millions of other sites in response to a search. This is known as "organic" search results, where your SEO efforts have ensured your website is at the top of the search engines for users queries.
SEO helps you get traffic from search engines.
What are search engines?
- Search engines are a web based tool that enables users to find information on the World Wide Web
- Google is the most popular search engine, followed by Bing, then Yahoo
- There are a number of other search engines, which are not as popular as the top 3
What are search engine results?
- When you type a search query into a search engine, you get a page of the results
- The first few results usually get the most visits
- If your website isnt on the first page, you lose any chance of anyone finding it
What are the basics of search engine optimisation?
- Quality content - make sure your content is unique, of good quality, your website has a sitemap, your URLs are well structured
- Keywords - search for the best keywords for your website, use on-page targeting for keywords
- Link building - use white hat link building strategies to get other websites link to your website, ensure the links out of your site are to reliable websites
- Social media - use social media to promote your website, engage users with your social media strategy